Saturday, October 07, 2006

That pan is clean enough to eat off of.

I bought a new set of brake lines to install on my car. When I ordered them, I didn't think and just ordered a set for a '68 beetle. I forgot that standard bugs of that year are not IRS when I place my order. So the lines that I received weren't the exact fit. What it all amounted to was I had to go to my local auto parts store to supplement the kit with two longer lines. Not a big mistake, but still a couple more bucks in the hole for not thinking things through. Now, when I'm ordering parts, I think of my car as a '69 and it helps me remember to think straight. Running the lines wasn't all that difficult. The long main line was the most fun because it's a little longer than it needs to be. I was too cheap to buy the proper brake tube bender for the project. I made all the bends using the radius of my Maglite flashlight. Worked pretty well I think.

My car has a dual master cylinder for the brakes. I read that you can use a either a Volvo or a Rabbit reservoir instead of running two lines and having a remote mount like stock. I found the Volvo type I needed at the local pull-a-part yard for a whopping four bucks. Good times!

Once the lines were run, I painted and installed my brake drums (with high heat paint), and installed installed the freshly painted shocks. I also installed and filled my trany as well as new CV axles (painted as well). I top coated the POR-15 on the top of the pan with more bedliner and put my wheels on. I must say that I'm starting to get excited as the pan is getting close to completion.



Sweet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home